- Focal Hyperhidrosis Learning Center - Our Surveys
- Hyperhidrosis Surveys - Results >
- Hyperhidrosis & Dry Pharmacist Learning Tools
- Hyperhidrosis Living Life Questionnaire
- Sweat Help Button - Ask the Dry Pharmacist
- DryDerm Stories
- Refer a Friend
- Sweat Too Much?
- Hyperhidrosis IQ
- The Dry Pharmacy
- About Us
Why We Sweat
- Focal vs Generalized Hyperhidrosis >
- Cause of Focal Hyperhidrosis >
- You Are Not Alone >
- Focal Hyperhidrosis - A Snapshot
- Hyperhidrosis and Quality of Life >
- Gustatory Hyperhidrosis and Facial/Scalp Sweating >
- Compensatory Hyperhidrosis >
- Pros and Cons of Hyperhidrosis Treatments >
- How Severe is Your Sweating Condition
- Social Anxiety Disorder and Hyperhidrosis >
- Hyperhidrosis and Children >
- Kids' Corner - Why do I Sweat so Much >
- Excessive Sweating - Affected Regions >
- Bromhidrosis >
- Drug-induced Hyperhidrosis >
- Hyperhidrosis and Homeopathy >
- Recent Clinical Studies
- Success Stories
Introducing DryDerm Gel
- Palmoplantar Hyperhidrosis - DryDerm PP >
- DryDerm Iontophoresis solutions >
- Scalp/Head Hyperhidrosis - DryDerm solution >
- DryDerm HC >
- Gustatory Sweating - DryDerm G >
- Treating Compensatory Sweating
- Inguinal or Groin Sweating
- DryDerm ped
- DryDerm Powders >
- Combination Therapy
- Special Orders
- Introducing DryDerm Gel >
Earwax Impaction & Preventing Recurrences
Preventing Earwax Build-up
As mentioned, earwax plays an important role in maintaining good ear health and safeguarding from potential infectious organisms. However, some individuals overproduce earwax and are predisposed to its accumulation or build-up. Others are at greater risk (wearing hearing aids, the elderly etc.) of periodically experiencing earwax impactions.
The Dry Pharmacist has formulated an effective and gentle lotion for this purpose. Applying LiquiCera Ear Health Lotion on a regular basis will maintain proper earwax balance to maintain good ear health and will help prevent earwax impaction and build-up.
A few years ago, a Finnish clinical study* demonstrated that the regular use of an emulsifying emollient such as LiquiCera Ear Health Lotion prevented the recurrence of earwax impactions.
In the 12-month study, the individuals using a lotion had a earwax impaction recurrence rate of 23% compared to 61% in the group not receiving treatment. In other words, those not using a lotion were almost three times more likely to experience an impaction when compared to those using a lotion.
Another study** from the University of Toronto in Canada showed that cerumen samples from individuals experiencing impaction recurrences contain a significant amount of 'keratin sheets'. In other words, these recurrent earwax samples contain an unusually high amount of dead or desquamated skin cells. This is a prevalent problem for individuals with psoriasis in the ear region. This speaks for the use of an emulsifying emollient lotion such as LiquiCera which will reduce the desquamation process.
*Soloranta K, Westermarck T. Clin. Otolaryngol. 2005. **Robinson AC. J Otolaryngol. 1990
The following tips will also help you maintain good ear health and help reduce earwax build-up and the likelihood of developing an earwax or cerumen impaction.
Tip no. 2